A lot of people are dreaming about traveling the world, but almost everyone has the same excuse – lack of money. I’ve already written about how to make money while you’re traveling, click here to check it out. In this article, I want to talk about the expenses and how to travel the world for free or very cheap.
When you’re traveling, you have three expenses: transportation, accommodation, and food.
Free options – There are a lot of great stories of people traveling the world for free with hitchhiking or cycling. These are opportunities for you as well. You can hitchhike cars, trucks, buses, trains, boats, and everything. If others could do it, you can do it as well. Another way to travel for free is to use a travel credit card and collect your points for free flights.
Cheap options – The best way to get the most affordable transportation possible is to use price comparison sites and find the best price. Some comparison sites for flight are Priceline, Kayak, Yapta, Hopper, Google Flights and Skyscanner. If you’d like to travel by bus, use Flixbus in Europe. It’s super cheap. Blablacar is a service for ridesharing. The prices are meager there as well.
Free options – You have many free alternatives.
- One of them is Couchsurfing which means staying at a local’s couch, room, mattress or something.
- Another option is to exchange your work for free accommodation. For example WWOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms), HelpX and Workaway are great ways to get free shelter and food. Find non-profit organizations and volunteer for a free stay and free food.
- Housecarers, TrustedHousesitters, MindMyHouse, and Caretaker are sites where you can find housesit opportunities in exchange for free accommodation. All you have to do is keeping an eye on pets, gardens and other chores to get a free shelter.
- You can also try to offer your work in hostels or even hotels for a free room.
- Wild camping is another opportunity for free accommodation.
- There are platforms where you can exchange your English skills for accommodation like TalkTalkBnB.
- Alternatively, you can ask local people in the street if you can stay there for a night.
- And I could go on and go. If it isn’t enough for you, do a google search, and you will find endless opportunities.
Cheap options – Hostels are the most affordable option. However, if you want a whole apartment or house, try AirBnB as it’s less expensive than a hotel. If you use this link, you’ll get $44 toward your first trip.
Free option – Ask local restaurants for leftovers.
Cheap options – Eat street food. That’s the most affordable option. For example in southeast Asia and India street foods are widespread. However, if you have no opportunity for eating street food, cook by yourself, go to a grocery store and cook your meal. You’ll save a lot of money that way.